Hopefully that is all the motivation you will need to do your best to decrease the toxic load for you and for your family.
There is a wonderful book called The Brain Wash by Michelle Schoffro Cook. It explores how exposure to toxins are being linked to not only neurological disease but how they impact our overall health and what we can do to reduce our exposure to every day toxins.
One way to expose ourselves to chemicals and toxins everyday is the regular use of dryer sheets and fabric softeners. They are full of chemicals that irritate the skin and eyes, absorb into your skin and body that can cause many health concerns.
Here are the seven most common chemicals found in dryer sheets:
- Alpha-Terpineolcauses central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
- Benzyl Alcoholcauses central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
- Camphoron the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
- Chloroformon the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
- Ethyl Acetateon the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
- Linaloolcauses central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
- Pentanecauses headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapours causes central nervous system depression.
A non toxic chemical free alternative to dryer sheets and commercial fabric softeners is to use wool dryer balls.
Use 3+ for smaller loads and 6+ for large loads.
Place in your dryer with your laundry and you will never go back to dryer sheets again. They will not only prevent harmful toxins from entering your home but will save you money on energy costs shortening drying time, they last for thousands of loads, they remove wrinkles and reduce static and have many more benefits.
Wool dryers balls…. the healthy choice!!